[Asterisk-Users] newbie questions

Mark Benson mark.benson at iqit.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 10:06:14 MST 2005

Voip to voip (in whatever form that takes sip-sip sip-iax iax-iax) is
what I am using asterisk for.

I would have thought mandrake would have been ok - but haven't used it
for a while. I'm running FC2 (fedora core2) and asterisk complies and
runs without any problems.

Dont fear make. Apps, for the most part, compile really easily on linux.
Follow the instructions to the letter and you shouldn't go wrong. Its
often as simple as typing make waiting a bit for stuff to stop happening
and then typing make install. Asterisk prompts you with various other
options like make help and make samples (or something like that) so its
pretty straight forward.

You don't need any cards for asterisk. No phone cards, no sound card
just whatever allows you to connect to your lan and/or the internet.

g729 - isn't required. There are plenty of other codecs you can use for
free.

Accounting, cdr, ser etc - I haven't got that far myself either.