[Asterisk-Users] newbie questions

Shaoul Jacobson - TELLINK shaoul at tellink.com
Tue Feb 8 09:44:42 MST 2005

Hi,

I want to use asterisk as a VoIP-VoIP pbx (just IP, no PSTN/ISDN cards)

1.	the distro
I downloaded a "free mandrake 10.0 - 3 CD's) but some packages seem missing
(some C or C++ or python ...)
(buy the full version ....)

maybe the latest fedora is more complete ?
or easier to complete with rpmfind
(I am green to linux too, but I open my windows & gates to the tux)

(bsd, debian are a bit too tech for me yet, no flaming please.)
I prefer ready made rpm's or alike than compile AT THIS TIME.
(I promise to improve over time)

2.	download
any rpm ? or I must download sources and 'make install' ?
(I found one iso, but it seemed to require a pstn card)
(RTFM a second / third time could is always a good option)

3.	pure VoIP
is it ok to use it in pure VoIP mode without any 'phone cards' ?
all (most) settings & samples I see include such cards. Needed or not ?

4.	g729 not free.
It seems that requires some licensing to digium.
Can that be without using any 'card' (just VoIP) ?
How to control the licenses then ?
(I e-mailed them the question, but got no answer)

accounting, cdr's, ... that's for later
(first I have to be able to phone)

regards,

Shaoul Jacobson