[Asterisk-Users] Re: Encrypted VOIP?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht list+asterisk-users at lists.wsrcc.com
Sat Feb 5 13:23:19 MST 2005

randy at psg.com (Randy Bush) writes:
>> Just run point to point encryption over a vpn.
>> Is there any support in Asterisk for encryption of IAX and/or any other
>> VOIP protocols? I haven't seen anything on this in the wiki or on the
>> list. Just curious.
>
> classic problem.  how do you know, in a way that the application and
> user can see it, that the data are on a crypted channel?  this is a
> problem in general with all the rfcs which say "for privacy, run it
> over ipsec."  there is no signaling from the transport to the app.

Isn't this just an API problem?  Shouldn't the kernel be able to tell
the user app that a socket is associate with an ip/esp encapsulation?

(And yes, I know that one of the common ipsec implementations strips
the ipsec headers and then sends the unwrapped packet back through the
IP machinery a second time.)

-wolfgang
     Hate software patents?  Sign here: http://thankpoland.info/