[Asterisk-Users] Callerid problems with 1.0.5

Nicolás Gudiño asternic at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 06:24:32 MST 2005

Hi,

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:35:19 -0500, mattf <mattf at vicimarketing.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> patching v1.0.5 on my system removed the problem for me. But yes it seems
> strange that this feature was inserted into a final release with very little
> documentation of the wide implications that are caused by the change.

You can use a previous revision of app_dial.c too.

> This was corrected in CVS with the addition of a diabling flag for the dial
> command, but maybe this is a message that we should start an official beta
> release period before a release so that people can test pre-releases even
> for just a week to report problems before it is unleashed upon the world as
> an official release

I agree... I believe drumkilla is doing a great and hard work
maintaining stable (a big thank you for that!), but  I think it was a
mistake (or overlook) to backport the callerid 'bugfix' to stable. It
is not really a bugfix, but a design change that in fact disrupts many
working installations.  If I were responsible for that, I would
release 1.0.6 (just like 1.0.5 had to be released also because of
callerid problems), without that change applied.

And I'm also on the opinion that the 'o' flag in CVS-HEAD is not
really the solution to the problem, because if Mark thinks that the
previous handling of callerid has a logical error, if you use the 'o'
flag in dial, your callerid will probably work, but it will have that
'logical error' as Mark's opinion.

The real solution would be to fix the 'logical error' and not brake
the callerid in many situations.  I thought it only affected the
manager interface, but it seems that its not only limited to the
manager as these thread and many bug reports point out.

I'm probably not seeing the whole picture, but the callerid is really
not that hard. If you are receiving a call, the callerid should be the
remote callerid. If you originate a call, the callerid should be your
callerid. And if I want to preserve the original remote callerid when
doing a transfer, or being parked, or whatever (I consider making a
transfer to be the originator of a call), you can use a dial flag (I
believe its 'p' in cvs-head?), so the recipient of the transfer will
see the original remote callerid instead of your own.

Regards,

--
Nicolás Gudiño
Buenos Aires - Argentina