[Asterisk-Users] HP ProLiant server for Asterisk

Dana Olson rickaster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 14:59:48 MST 2005

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:53:13 -0600, Steven Critchfield
<critch at basesys.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 16:02 -0500, Dana Olson wrote:
>
> > Out of curiosity, do any of you think that the ML350 would be a better
> > choice, with similar options? They're a lot cheaper too, and I haven't
> > found any negative reports (no solid positive reports either) yet. The
> > Debian install will be a bit annoying, but that's alright, as long as
> > it's do-able.
>
> I'm curious as to why you think debian wouldn't be anything but straight
> forward to install o that machine. I didn't see any hardware on there
> that shouldn't be super easy to get working. Also Debian installers have
> come a ways in the last series. I was disappointed to not have at least
> a little hiccup on a brand new machine I installed recently.
>
> --
> Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com>

Hey Steven,

I'm talking about Debian Stable, if that makes a difference. The
particular disc that I want to standardise on includes the 2.4.18bf24
kernel, and apparently the onboard ethernet is not supported by this
kernel. Also, if we're using the 64x SmartArray controller, this is
also not supported by the default kernel. I don't believe these
options showed up until 2.4.21 or so.

This means that I'd have to install to a SCSI drive off of the onboard
SCSI first, and then cp the data to the SmartArray after I've upgraded
the kernel, and then modify LILO and /etc/fstab to point to the new
devices.

I've never liked Debian Testing for regular use, and Sid is great on
my home desktop and laptop, but even on my own home server I run
Woody.
--
Dana