[Asterisk-Users] Semi-OT: porting numbers away

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Fri Dec 30 13:07:32 MST 2005

trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 14:06 -0500, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
>

>>On Friday 30 December 2005 13:23, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
>>

>>>CLECs and ILECs largely are required to let you port your number (there are some potential issues that cna prevent that but genereally that is a true statement).
>>>

>>An interesting wrinkle I'm running against is that you cannot port numbers from a cellular carrier to a landline.  i.e. I can't port my cell # to a DID on my PRI.  I am not sure if this is just a line of bullshit fed to me from Bell Mobility (Canadian CDMA carrier) but I've not had the time to really dig in.  They claim that between cell carriers numbers are portable but not from
>>cell to landline.
>>

>You can but no one is required to so most dont.  Generally speaking no one will want to touch that becuase of potential problems.
>
>Its not technically impossible but it is not likely to happen for other reasons.

In the US that isn't the case.
LNP between wire and wireless is allowed and required.
I have ported a RCF landline number to wireless ( it took 3 months
because I put the order in on day 1 ) but it finally took.
I also ported a wireless number to Vonage, which also took 3 months, but
a year later. No excuse but it finally happened.
If I am ever able to rescue that number from Vonage is unknown, but for
now it works.
I feel sure the rules and results are different in  every jurisdiction.
Is LNP even allowed in the UK or the EU?

John Novack