[Asterisk-Users] Semi-OT: porting numbers away

Jerry Jones jjones at danrj.com
Fri Dec 30 13:01:07 MST 2005

On Dec 30, 2005, at 1:48 PM, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 14:06 -0500, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
>> On Friday 30 December 2005 13:23, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
>>> CLECs and ILECs largely are required to let you port your number
>>> (there
>>> are some potential issues that cna prevent that but genereally
>>> that is a
>>> true statement).
>>
>> An interesting wrinkle I'm running against is that you cannot port
>> numbers
>> from a cellular carrier to a landline.  i.e. I can't port my cell
>> # to a DID
>> on my PRI.  I am not sure if this is just a line of bullshit fed
>> to me from
>> Bell Mobility (Canadian CDMA carrier) but I've not had the time to
>> really dig
>> in.  They claim that between cell carriers numbers are portable
>> but not from
>> cell to landline.
>
> You can but no one is required to so most dont.  Generally speaking no
> one will want to touch that becuase of potential problems.
>
> Its not technically impossible but it is not likely to happen for
> other
> reasons.

We have successfully ported cell numbers.

However from your above statement - porting points the number
directly to you and becomes a DID.

Pointing a cell number to an existing DID would actually be a forward
which may or may not involve a port, and does involve many other issues.

Of course I am not in Canada either.