[Asterisk-Users] What hardware fits my needs?

asterisk-users at ecessor.com asterisk-users at ecessor.com
Fri Dec 23 03:50:06 MST 2005

Jami,

Providing a specific response to your question is rather difficult without a
more meaningful list of parameters.

1. You say you have 20,000 distinct DIDs already. Are these provisioned
through an existing telephony switch using multiple PRI lines (E1/T1)?
Ideally you would need 4 PRI lines to support the average load of 100 users
(4xE1=120 channels or 4xT1=96 channels).

However in reality there will be usage peaks - thus you may need to consider
designing a system that can cope with double or treble that many
simultaneous users in order to handle peak loads.

2. Providing that many mailboxes and offering the functionality you describe
is feasible using Asterisk. However you will undoubtedly need multiple
servers - though again the number of servers and their specification is
dependent on many additional factors.

3. What is the nature of the service. i.e. Is it mission critical and do you
need to ensure high-availability? This will impact the architecture/hardware
configuration you choose. Also do you plan to locate all of the
lines/servers at a single site or do you want to have redundancy spread
across multiple sites in the event of an outage within your Central Office?

4. How many messages of what maximum length do you anticipate each user
being allowed to store? Again this will impact storage requirements.

5. The www.digium.com site lists the cards they offer for interfacing to
E1/T1 PRI lines. As for server hardware - you will ideally want to use fast
multi-processor servers for your service. Again - the exacting specification
is difficult to suggest without knowing more about what you are seeking to
achieve.

6. Asterisk is robust and powerful. However there is a learning curve
spanning anything from many weeks to a few months depending on your
available skills/resources. Setting up a "production grade" service on this
scale will certainly require a deep understanding of both Linux/UNIX and
Asterisk.

Neil