[Asterisk-Users] Semi OT - SuperMicro config question for the Linux/Hardware jedi's - $50 bounty!

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Dec 21 21:10:02 MST 2005

Cory Andrews wrote:
> I have a SuperMicro 5013C-MT with the P4SCT+ motherboard and am having
> trouble
> with all Linux distributions  (Debian, Gentoo, Redhat ES3 and
> Ubuntu). No distributions will detect the SATA drives and therefore
> cannot install.

That motherboard has an Adaptec/Marvell SATA controller, which does not
have a open source driver in those distributions. There is an
open-source driver in the very latest 2.6 kernel releases, but it won't
be included in the installer kernels for any of those distros.

You will either have to:

A) use the Intel SATA controller and skip the Adaptec one until you get
the distro up and running and can update the kernel

B) build your own installer kernel using a more up-to-date kernel source
tarball

C) build a module you could load from a 'driver disk' for the distros
that support them, using a backport of the open-source driver