[Asterisk-Users] New To Asterisk/POTS - Hardware Setup Questi on

John Millican john at millican.us
Wed Dec 21 12:11:59 MST 2005

see bottom post
On Wednesday December 21 2005 1:32 pm, Colin Anderson wrote:
> Um, not trying to be a smartass, but a simple 2 way splitter like the one
> you get in the dollar store would do the trick nicely. Then you could just
> plug in a POTS phone and turn the ringer off. Don't think it would suck too
> much voltage so your FXO card shouldn't notice.
>
> hth

In my opinion the solution of a sipura 3000 would be the better of the 2
options you mention.  this will allow you to have a receptionist phone
plugged into it that will work at all times so there will not be any
confusion about when power is on use this phone, when power is out use that
phone. somewhat compensates for panic factor.  Now this will depend on number
of extensions in the SOHO.  If this is the only extension all is good.
Remember that without a ups on the * box when the power goes out all calls
end rather abruptly and that dirty shut downs can be a very bad thing.
John M