[Asterisk-Users] SIP Subscriptions

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Dec 21 01:59:28 MST 2005

> 1. SIP subscriptions are stored in memory and cleared when you do a 'reload'. So, if you make any configuration changes and 'reload' you lose all your BLF lights. People take this stuff for granted and expect it to work.
I think we cleared that up in previous postings. Saving the
subscriptions in astDB as we save registrations might solve this issue.

> 2. No common SIP registration information. Not even using realtime with SIP users, which doesn't work, there's no way outside this to share location info between more than one (ie 'enterprise-grade') Asterisk systems.

Have you checked realtime SIP peers? We do save registration data in
the realtime database as well as the astDB. However, if you have NAT
between you and the device you need to make sure you send the call from
the proper IP.

> 3. The 'Dial' application seem to have very limited ability to be able to determine what SIP response it gets back from a peer. "Not
Found", "Busy", "Moved" etc. I know Asterisk isn't a SIP proxy, but
without the ability to check the SIP message status in a dial, it makes
redundancy very very difficult. Redundancy is normally an important part
of 'enterprise-grade'. Without this, how do you get upstream redundancy?
I have something working right now, but it isn't pretty!

This is one of the effects of being a multiprotocol PBX. We have to
hide the protocol-layer specific signalling from the dialplan and
applications in order to behave in a common way.
Can you explain a bit more which SIP error codes that you want
to reach and why? Im curious.

> 4. DNS SRV lookups aren't implemented properly. Another important part of redundancy and 'enterprise-grade' software.

This is a well known and well documented bug in Asterisk. It's not easy
to fix, believe me, I've tried for a long time. The new DNS manager is a
way forward and many of the core developers are trying to build a
foundation to solve this issue once and for all.

/O