[Asterisk-Users] SIP Subscriptions

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 21:58:25 MST 2005

Lets get this clear once and for all, you are a Fuc*ing retard, and
this will be the last (I hope) you will hear from me in this post.

And now to the post:

On 12/20/05, Douglas Garstang <dgarstang at oneeighty.com> wrote:
> Well, I know I will be attacked for saying this, as cursed are those who say anything bad about Asterisk, but for an application that is 'enterprise-grade' as Digium tourts, it has several flaws that IMHO disqualify it as 'enterprise-grade'. I mean, really, c'mon... think about it... an application that doesn't support the use of a database for common location/registration information is hardly 'enterprise-grade'. Just off the top of my head,

Like any of the other systems do, lets check which ones? Avaya
Definity? Panasonic?
Why is AstDB not a database? You can query it using asterisk -rx, and
then use your own functions based on the results. In an enterprise
grade installation one doesn't want another point of failure like a
database. A database is only usefull if you want to be able to have
the *same* database for every system, whicn in most asterisk system
this is *not* needed. At the most you want to share the DP which can
be done in other ways.

other disqualifiers would be:

> 1. SIP subscriptions are stored in memory and cleared when you do a 'reload'. So, if you make any configuration changes and 'reload' you lose all your BLF lights. People take this stuff for granted and expect it to work.

I have installed more Asterisk systems than you (yes I'm sure of it,
you are too big of a moron), not ONE of those systems make use of the
hint feature (although I'm looking at it currently), and my clients
are very happy (I use FOP). Tell me how this disqualifies this system
to for enterprise grade, as I have installed in enterprise grade
installs.

> 2. No common SIP registration information. Not even using realtime with SIP users, which doesn't work, there's no way outside this to share location info between more than one (ie 'enterprise-grade') Asterisk systems.

For this #2 question:
A. Why would this be needed? you could use switch to share the DP, or
you could simply have asteriskB just dial extenx on asteriskA which
asteriskA will then dial that SIP
B. You could share it using asterisk -rx "sip show peers" or the like.
C. You could use Avaya.

> 3. The 'Dial' application seem to have very limited ability to be able to determine what SIP response it gets back from a peer. "Not Found", "Busy", "Moved" etc. I know Asterisk isn't a SIP proxy, but without the ability to check the SIP message status in a dial, it makes redundancy very very difficult. Redundancy is normally an important part of 'enterprise-grade'. Without this, how do you get upstream redundancy? I have something working right now, but it isn't pretty!

There are lots of DP magic in this area that can tell you precisely
whats going on. It's just your inability to RTFM that makes this a
point, I mean realy how can you possibly know enough about Asterisk in
just 14 days????????????? Your ignorants does NOT imply anything about
asterisk.

> 4. DNS SRV lookups aren't implemented properly. Another important part of redundancy and 'enterprise-grade' software.

Work in progress, but not with this atitude, for the mean while use Avaya.

> Before you all go ripping my head off and defecating down my neck for saying anything bad about Asterisk (well CF can, I expect that), this is just my opinion based on real world frustrations with Asterisk. These are intended to be constructive criticisms.

You got it all wrong, this is not aimed at you, but it's all aimed at
your local community for not putting you into an institution yet. We
dont' care about you and Asterisk, many of us are using it in
enterprise-grade installs, *YOUR* inability to do so doesn't mean that
asterisk has failed. If you want answers ask, dont bash.
BTW, you are *NOT* anyones real world example with Asterisk.

> Maybe some from Digium will read this email and it will make a 0.001% contribution towards some of these things being fixed. Oh, and no... I can't switch to another solution. The decision was made above my head to go with Asterisk. It's my job to make it do all that 'enterprise-grade' stuff.

Oh, I love this last line, does that mean that they will fire you from
this asterisk job? I'm looking forward to that.