[Asterisk-Users] CID lookup from an Exchange Public folder

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Fri Dec 16 11:48:52 MST 2005

OWA sucks big time you'll never get it to run right. If you use CDO in an
ASP script, you can programmatically access basically every structure in
Exchange. If you call a shell script via AGI with wget in it, that would
call the ASP script which would filter items in the Exchange store via CDO,
then return the item you want using SET VARIABLE syntax to Asterisk. Problem
is there is massive overhead in CDO (it's basically a MAPI client) so the
latency would be so bad that it would never work in near real time and
scaling would be a problem from the get-go.

I do a caller ID lookup from our SQL server using ODBCSockets direct to
Asterisk and it is under a second, with no scaling problems. This approach
would work fine for you, as long as you had a vbscript that you could run
say once a day that would do the CDO, get the contact items, wipe all of the
records from the SQL server table, and repopulate the table. This solves
your latency problem. If you don't have SQL you can get the free SQL 2005
download from Microsoft.

If you want, email me offlist and I will send you my ODBCSockets script.