[Asterisk-Users] Connecting Meridian M8x24-DS to Asterisk - NoDTMFtones

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Dec 16 07:20:50 MST 2005

> > Hey, thanks for the response.
> >
> > I have another system (Toshiba) which works fine with it, so I'm
> > doubting that it's a issue specifically with the Asterisk server or
> > it being able to properly decode the tones.
> >
> > > Have you put a butt set on the line and listen to see if there is
DTMF
> > > and it is just not being recognized?
> >
> > I've done similar tests where instead of the asterisk server, I used
> > a phone instead.  When buttons are hit, no tones are emitted from
the
> > Meridian, but a little acknoledge beep on the Meridian phone is
heard
> > as buttons are pressed.  It seems to me like a programming or some
> > other issue on the Meridian.  But, I don't know where to start to
> > correct it.  The tech is completely MIA after my call to set up an
> > appointment.  I might have to call another service group.  I'm
fairly
> > competent at managing and building out Toshiba DK systems (I
maintain
> > two DK40's), but this Meridian was sort of inherited from another
> > source.
>
> Pure guess and I'm not a Meridian experienced person either...
>
> The problem sounds like the Meridian is configured to "not" transmit
> dtmf "after answer supervision". When the Meridian connects to the
> asterisk
> fxo port, the call is considered answered regardless of whether anyone
on
> the asterisk box actually answered the call.
>
> I'd be looking for a config option on the Meridian associated with
that.

> (Personal theory: The Meridian probably supports electronic phone sets
> where dtmf tones are not actually transmitted from the phone set to
the
> pbx. Rather, a digital signal is sent to the pbx, and the pbx
generates
> the dtmf tone "when instructed to do so". I'd have to guess that might
be
> considered a feature to keep Meridian users from accidently hitting a
> button on the phone set and blasting dtmf tones to the user of the
analog
> extension (eg, asterisk). So, it makes sense they would have an option
> turn dtmf on/off on a per analog line basis. Also, the Meridian is
> expected
> to react to electronic phone set buttons for special features
"without"
> generating dtmf tones, which further suggests there might be an option
> associated with the analog line interface of the Meridian. That
"might"
> even be translated (in Meridian terms) to that analog interface being
> defined as an extension verses an ananlog trunk. That's all just a
theory
> with no factual experience on my part.)

On one system I worked on you had an option to program a memory block to
use actual DTMF.  It was optional.  The customer had to buy a display
phone and a tech's manual to get it to work since programming was done
through the phone and all they had were low end display-less phones.
Don't remember what kind of system it was but once that memory block was
set and the system rebooted, it worked like a champ.

Thanks,
Steve