[Asterisk-Users] Connecting Meridian M8x24-DS to Asterisk - No DTMFtones

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Dec 16 05:43:27 MST 2005

> >> Sorry, this is slightly off topic, but I wonder if somebody has some
> >> hints on getting our Meridian system to output DTMF tones to our
> >> Asterisk box.  Simply put, when buttons as pressed, nothing happens.
> >>
> >> The Asterisk box has a 4 port Digium FXO card.
> >>
> >> This is what we've got:
> >>
> >> Meridian M8X24-DS
> >> Meridian M12X0
> >>
> >> Thanks for any tips!
> >>

> >> Phil
>
> Hey, thanks for the response.
>
> I have another system (Toshiba) which works fine with it, so I'm
> doubting that it's a issue specifically with the Asterisk server or
> it being able to properly decode the tones.
>
> > Have you put a butt set on the line and listen to see if there is DTMF
> > and it is just not being recognized?
>
> I've done similar tests where instead of the asterisk server, I used
> a phone instead.  When buttons are hit, no tones are emitted from the
> Meridian, but a little acknoledge beep on the Meridian phone is heard
> as buttons are pressed.  It seems to me like a programming or some
> other issue on the Meridian.  But, I don't know where to start to
> correct it.  The tech is completely MIA after my call to set up an
> appointment.  I might have to call another service group.  I'm fairly
> competent at managing and building out Toshiba DK systems (I maintain
> two DK40's), but this Meridian was sort of inherited from another
> source.

Pure guess and I'm not a Meridian experienced person either...

The problem sounds like the Meridian is configured to "not" transmit
dtmf "after answer supervision". When the Meridian connects to the asterisk
fxo port, the call is considered answered regardless of whether anyone on
the asterisk box actually answered the call.

I'd be looking for a config option on the Meridian associated with that.

(Personal theory: The Meridian probably supports electronic phone sets
where dtmf tones are not actually transmitted from the phone set to the
pbx. Rather, a digital signal is sent to the pbx, and the pbx generates
the dtmf tone "when instructed to do so". I'd have to guess that might be
considered a feature to keep Meridian users from accidently hitting a
button on the phone set and blasting dtmf tones to the user of the analog
extension (eg, asterisk). So, it makes sense they would have an option to
turn dtmf on/off on a per analog line basis. Also, the Meridian is expected
to react to electronic phone set buttons for special features "without"
generating dtmf tones, which further suggests there might be an option
associated with the analog line interface of the Meridian. That "might"
even be translated (in Meridian terms) to that analog interface being
defined as an extension verses an ananlog trunk. That's all just a theory
with no factual experience on my part.)