[Asterisk-Users] ztdummy / timer problem with kernel 2.6.14

Fredrik Emil Jensen fredrik at netpower.no
Fri Dec 16 05:29:02 MST 2005

I got a problem with musiconhold / meetme which I cannot get to work
correctly.

I just install a fresh installation off Fedora core 4 and did a yum
update on the system before I downloaded asterisk 1.2.1. First I
compiled zaptel with make clean, make linux26, make install, make
config, and then I configured libpri with make clean, make, make
install. I restarted the system and sees that zaptel is bringing up
ztdummy. Doing a lsmod I can see this:>

ztdummy                 7816  0
zaptel                193540  12 ztdummy
crc_ccitt               6209  1 zaptel

So the modules have been added into the system correctly. I then
compiled and install asterisk with, make clean, make, make mpg123, make
install, make samples. And then I added test user in sip.conf, added a
new exten => 605,1,MusicOnHold

I edited the zaptel.conf to remove the ; in front of musiconhold =
default, then I started asterisk with safe_asterisk, logged in with my
sip client.

Now when I dial exten 605, I see this in asterisk console:

   -- Executing Answer("SIP/590-6f28", "") in new stack
    -- Executing MusicOnHold("SIP/590-6f28", "") in new stack
    -- Started music on hold, class 'default', on channel 'SIP/590-6f28'

I can also see that mpg123 has started, ps aux |grep -i mpg123

Now the problem is that the music is playing for 1 sec, stops up for a
couple sec then starts again, stops up and starting etc, doing a moh
reload it play for about 2 sec and stops, starts, stops etc. I cannot
understand what I have done wrong during the installation. When I do a
zttest I get this results:>

Results after 49 passes ---
Best: 99.963379 -- Worst: 99.926758 -- Average: 99.948681

I have also tried on the same server to use Slackware 10.2, reinstall,
and created a kernel 2.6.14, remove the usb drivers to make sure that
zaptel not using that, did many different things with this but still the
same problem (also results with zttest). I have also tried with madplay,
shoutcast streams, but still the same problem, and to top this off I
also had the same problem with many different distro on different
virtual hosts on a Vmware enterprise server (I know that vmware is the
problem with vmware tools and rtc), but anyway this very
strange/irritating for me that this doesn't work. Do I have need to by a
digium card to get the timer problem work correctly with asterisk?

Is there something that I have missed during the installation or is it
my hardware that is not good enough?

The hardware is an IBM 306 with 3.6 xeon, 1GB ram and raid 1, 2x 80 GB
sata disk.

Is there anyone that can help me, has the same problem and a solution
for me to try out!!

Regards,
Fredrik Jensen