[Asterisk-Users] sharing a line w/multiple extensions

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Dec 15 14:53:37 MST 2005

> Fascinating discussion.  The whole idea of "acceptance" of an asterisk
> based system by the rest of the family is probably worthy of its own thread.
>
> I'm in "alpha test" (I switch on asterisk after  the wife leaves for
> work, switch it back before she gets home ;-) ) of my home asterisk
> system, so I've been thinking/worrying about a lot of similar issues.

I've sort of done the same by using a spa3k for the house phones, and
its configured so the spouse doesn't have a clue its in the middle.
No remedial training required! (But, if someone picks up a house phone
and happens to dial an * extension, it handles it. By prefixing any
dialed number with an "8", the call is routed via *. If * is down, no
one notices. ;)

> I'm particularly worried about acceptance of this "shared line" (or lack
> thereof) aspect of the system.  My wife will "get" the idea of
> extensions, transfers, parking, etc. because she uses a PBX at work,
> though I worry that the habits of how the phone is "supposed to work" at
> home may die hard with her.  And the kids are a whole 'nuther story.
>
> I thought that having some "common area" phones share a single extension
> (wired into a single ATA FXS port) might ease the transition, but I'm
> also afraid it might be confusing ("you can just pick up from these
> extensions, but you have to transfer or park to/from these extensions".
> Huh?).

Just put all the phones on one ata and let everyone kind of step slowly
into added functionality. Then add an itsp did number (or one for each
person) and use something like distinctive rings for each. Add on some
voicemail when their comfortable, a decent sip speakerphone, some
analog phones with a VM LED, etc. Pretty soon they'll be asking if you
can do a, b, or c with the system.

> The huge selling point, which I'm hoping will overcome any initial
> resistance, is the idea that one person will no longer tie up the whole
> phone system for the house when they make/take a call.  And deploying
> one of my free DIDs to give my 16-year-old "his own phone number" that
> rings only in his bedroom is the real ace up my sleeve!

Make that a two line cordless and he'll jump all over it. One up on his
buddies. ;)

> Sure, Asterisk will come with a lot of other neat features, but frankly
> most of them have more geek appeal (though I have high hopes for my
> favorite feature -- announced caller id over the stereo/tivo while we're
> making dinner -- to revolutionize the way we deal with (or at least who
> answers ;-) ) phone calls at that hour), and in some cases I think may
> face similar "that's not the way it's supposed to work" objections.  For
> example, while they will acknowledge that voicemail is cool, I suspect
> they'll miss the simplicity of walking into the kitchen, seeing if the
> answering machine is blinking, and just pressing the button.
>
> I'm excited AND anxious about starting a real "beta test" with them!
> Maybe that's why I'm already 3 weeks behind my original schedule. ;-)

Have fun. :)