[Asterisk-Users] sharing a line w/multiple extensions

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 15 10:33:53 MST 2005

Fascinating discussion.  The whole idea of "acceptance" of an asterisk
based system by the rest of the family is probably worthy of its own thread.

I'm in "alpha test" (I switch on asterisk after  the wife leaves for
work, switch it back before she gets home ;-) ) of my home asterisk
system, so I've been thinking/worrying about a lot of similar issues.

I'm particularly worried about acceptance of this "shared line" (or lack
thereof) aspect of the system.  My wife will "get" the idea of
extensions, transfers, parking, etc. because she uses a PBX at work,
though I worry that the habits of how the phone is "supposed to work" at
home may die hard with her.  And the kids are a whole 'nuther story.

I thought that having some "common area" phones share a single extension
(wired into a single ATA FXS port) might ease the transition, but I'm
also afraid it might be confusing ("you can just pick up from these
extensions, but you have to transfer or park to/from these extensions".
Huh?).

The huge selling point, which I'm hoping will overcome any initial
resistance, is the idea that one person will no longer tie up the whole
phone system for the house when they make/take a call.  And deploying
one of my free DIDs to give my 16-year-old "his own phone number" that
rings only in his bedroom is the real ace up my sleeve!

Sure, Asterisk will come with a lot of other neat features, but frankly
most of them have more geek appeal (though I have high hopes for my
favorite feature -- announced caller id over the stereo/tivo while we're
making dinner -- to revolutionize the way we deal with (or at least who
answers ;-) ) phone calls at that hour), and in some cases I think may
face similar "that's not the way it's supposed to work" objections.  For
example, while they will acknowledge that voicemail is cool, I suspect
they'll miss the simplicity of walking into the kitchen, seeing if the
answering machine is blinking, and just pressing the button.

I'm excited AND anxious about starting a real "beta test" with them!
Maybe that's why I'm already 3 weeks behind my original schedule. ;-)