[Asterisk-Users] Fax detected, but no fax extension

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Thu Dec 15 08:56:13 MST 2005

It's a Zaptel thing. That's why you put faxdetect=yes in Zapata.conf. When
Zaptel "hears" the fax tone, it shuts off echo cancellation and tells
Asterisk to shunt the call to the "fax" extension.

If you are using PRI, for reliable fax detection, you should have something
like this in your default inbound context

exten => s,1,Answer()
exten => s,2,Wait(3)

The reason you Wait() for 3 seconds is because of the cadence of the fax
tone. Because Zaptel hardware answers the call and start processing it
almost instantaneously, it starts processing the call as a voice call.
Because the cadence of the tone is something like 2 seconds on, 2 seconds
off, a whole bunch of stuff can happen in your Asterisk box before it hears
the fax tone. If you jump to another context without having a fax extension
in that context, and then Zaptel hears the fax tone, a lot of your fax calls
will fail or an internal extension will ring, then as the user picks up,
Asterisk goes to the fax extension, and the call to the user is terminated.

This is also a double edged sword: We had a realtor who would call us up
while faxing stuff on his fax machine with the speaker on (who DOES that,
anyway?) Asterisk would pick up, do it's wait() and would hear the realtor's
fax machine in the background, and jump to the fax extension. Fun to
troubleshoot.

If you are using analog hardware, I'm not sure the wait() is necessary
because of the relative slowness of the call setup (i.e. it waits anyway for
the Caller ID)