[Asterisk-Users] 2 PBX linked via internet

Ugo Bellavance ugob at camo-route.com
Wed Dec 14 22:21:58 MST 2005

Hi,

     I think it is the first time I post on this list,  I went through
the few couple of hundred last messages on the list and couldn't find an
answer.  I also read the FAQ.

     I'd need some advice... here is what I plan to do.  I've never
installed asterisk so I know I need to do some testing.  I don't mind
buying equipment, but I don't want to overspend, especially in the test
phase.  I planned on using asterisk at home on old boxes that I can get for
  less than 100$ (P3 500/128 MB) or astlinux on pcengines WRAP machines
(or even astlinux on the P3).  I just bought a WRAP that is going to
eventually replace my netgear home router, but I could use the WRAP for
testing.  There is no hurry to replace the netgear.

     What I want to do is have one asterisk PBX here and one at my
friend's house.  We are both with the same ISP, cable modem, with good
bandwidth.  My friend lives ~ 25 Km from me.  - The incoming phone line
would be at my house, but I'd like to have an extension going to my
friend's.  I am testing traffic shaping rules with my firewall right
now, so this is likely to be in the plan as well.

     At home I have 2 lines: one regular telco line and one VoIP line
from Vonage (with a motorola phone adapter).  The vonage has unlimited
long distance USA/Canada (I'm in canada btw).  Here are my questions:

- Is that possible?  Any links to howtos?
- Could I connect both of my lines on the pbx?
- Can my friend dial through my vonage line to make long-distance calls?
  Can he actually choose?
- I'd like to avoid buying digium cards at least for the testing
phase... I know I'll probably need one to use my telco line or the IP
line behind the phone adapter, but if I can avoid buying one for my
friend's PBX, it would be great. Can I use (free or inexpensive)
softphones with asterisk?

Thanks in advance,
--
Ugo