[Asterisk-Users] sharing a line w/multiple extensions

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Dec 14 20:28:34 MST 2005

Robert La Ferla wrote:

> phones.  When someone picks up (don't know how I can detect this), it
> could transfer both parties to a meetme room.  When additional
> extensions pickup, they go to the meetme room.  When everyone hangs up,
> the call ends.  Can this be done?

Probably, but it would take some very creative dialplan programming and
an external application to transfer the parties into a meetme room. You
will not get 'pickup' behavior on the SIP phones regardless, they will
have to press a speed dial button which would attempt to join the meetme.

In other words: you can get there, but it will _not_ behave like a key
system, and people will expect it to, so they will be frustrated when it
doesn't. We've been down this road many times before, and many Asterisk
installations have been taken out because the installers thought they
could achieve key system behavior (or retrain the users) but failed. If
you want to try, feel free... I'm only telling you what has happened
before :-)