[Asterisk-Users] sharing a line w/multiple extensions

Robert La Ferla robertlaferla at comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 20:22:31 MST 2005

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Robert La Ferla wrote:
>
>> I'd like to configure Asterisk so an incoming call from one POTS line
>> is shared amongst multiple extensions - both SIP and analog.  i.e.
>> If one SIP phone answers the call, another SIP or analog extension
>> phone can pick up and join the conversation.  How do I configure
>> this?  Is it all in extensions.conf?
>
> Asterisk is not a key system. It does not behave this way.
>
> What do you mean by 'another SIP phone can pick up (...) the
> conversation'? Exactly what would the SIP phone user do to accomplish
> that?
Think residential installation where someone picks up the phone in one
room but someone in another room wants to join the conversation.
Ideally, I'd like to have "Line 1" on every phone (SIP or analog) behave
this way.  Another poster pointed out a good potential approach using
meetme.  When an incoming call comes in, it dials all SIP + analog
phones.  When someone picks up (don't know how I can detect this), it
could transfer both parties to a meetme room.  When additional
extensions pickup, they go to the meetme room.  When everyone hangs up,
the call ends.  Can this be done?