[Asterisk-Users] OT: Linux on treo 650

Rusty Dekema rdekema at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 13:44:09 MST 2005

The PPC-6700 (http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Sprint-PPC-6700.htm) that I am
testing right now may not be able to run Asterisk, but it sure can connect
via 802.11b to my Asterisk system. Unfortunately, the operating system does
not seem to provide access to the "earphone" speaker that the regular phone
uses, and instead only to the loudspeaker on the back of the phone. So if I
want to use VoIP on it, I have to have a headset.

Additionally, the device seems to periodically "freeze up" for a period of
time ranging from 1 to 2 seconds during SIP/RTP calls. The call does not
drop, but the interruption makes it pretty unusable. This happens even with
no other applications running.

The above combined with the fact that the 802.11b network in the campus
where I wanted to use this device seems to have a severe jitter problem that
is incorrectable by a reasonably-sized jitter buffer means that I am
probably going to abandon this experiment, but it was interesting
nonetheless.

-Rusty