[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk book feedback

Austin Denyer adenyer at ekn.com
Tue Dec 13 09:01:46 MST 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:45:09 -0600
"Ross C" <wotech at cox.net> wrote:

> Just curious what everyone (as in, the people that have read it or
> use it) thinks about the O'Reilly Asterisk book.  I'd really like to
> delve into the nitty gritty of Asterisk, but I'm getting kinda tired
> of swimming through forums and Google results.  I've been reading the
> wiki off and on for about a week now, but I'm wondering if a book
> would be the way to go to get a solid foundation.  My IT career for
> the past 10 years has been based off of learn-as-I-go methods, but
> I'd really like to learn asterisk the right way. I have a couple
> Asterisk servers up and running and in use, but they're very small
> systems (~10 extensions, connected to 3 or 4 pots lines).  I have
> some clients that want to use VOIP, but they're bigger businesses,
> and I'm not yet comfortable enough to roll out a bigger system. So if
> there are any other methods for learning Asterisk that I should
> consider, please do tell!
>
> Any opinions (on the book or otherwise) appreciated.  Thanks!

Well, the book is freely available for download as a pdf, so you can
check it out yourself and see what you think.  The general consensus
here seemed to be that the book was an excellent resource.

If you find the pdf version as useful as I think you will, I would
strongly suggest purchasing a hard copy.  The price is good for what
you get, and the authors put a LOT of work into it.

Regards,
Ozz.
(Not affiliated with the book in any way)