[Asterisk-Users] Small / embedded system recommendations

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Dec 13 06:42:47 MST 2005

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 02:11, Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:
> At sixty concurrent calls, you are not looking at a small embedded
> machine. Rack mount dual P3 or P4 in a small form factor I could see. I
> have to wonder if a CF card based system can be adequate for this kind
> of work, I have tended to move up to mirrored drives and a couple of
> slots for that type of installation.

I dunno...  I know you can terminate 192 concurrent calls (eight T1s) in a
dual P4 Dell system, 60 calls is less than 1/3 of that.  I realize that this
doesn't scale linearly and that it also depends on what you're going to be
doing CPU-wise...  If you're doing external echo cancellation and limiting
your transcoding (stick to ulaw or something "light" on the CPU) I could see
sixty concurrent calls on smaller hardware.  DTMF detection isn't all that
CPU intensive.

You do, of course, need to test to know for sure.  There are far too many
factors to "armchair quarterback" this kind of decision.  :-)

-A.