[Asterisk-Users] Small / embedded system recommendations

janvb at caselaboratories.com janvb at caselaboratories.com
Mon Dec 12 20:52:49 MST 2005

hi,

Interesting boxes - I might get one of these myself for playing around
with....

A 266 Mhz CPU is far more capable than you actually think and I have
been running 500 ports on a 300 Mhz PII earlier...BUT, I did not use
passive Digium boards.

The Digium boards are CPU intensive for 2 main reasons: (1) they have a
very low buffer on the bus forcing an interrupt far to often, and (2)
they need things like echo cancel and dtmf to run on the host computer.

Maybe you can handle 4-6 calls ??? But, you can definitly handle 60
calls with echo cancel & dtmf 'as is'. I would go for a Dell 1U mahine
(they cost from 400.- GBP) or if you insist on using these chose an
intelligent board to off-load the host.

jvb