[Asterisk-Users] Dlink DI-102 QOS Thingy?

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Tue Dec 13 04:22:10 MST 2005

Mojo Jojo wrote:
> Anyone using one of these as a QOS device in an Asterisk environment?
> If so, does it work well?
No, I don't use one of these myself.  However...
> Do you know what exactly it prioritizes? SIP only? IAX?
...during my recent DCE course, this product (or one extremely similar
to it) was discussed.  The QoS in these products are *extremely*
simplistic and from a VoIP perspective covers only SIP.  The
configuration is little more than turning it on or off - and possibly
(if my memory serves correctly) giving more priority to some IP
addresses on your LAN than others.  Unfortunately my DCE manual is at
work, so if you want more information on the unit, send me an email
off-list and I'll dig the manual up for you.
> I don't think this thing is going to work as I hoped (a simple/cheap
> device that will give priority to SIP and IAX).
If the product description was accurate (and it should be) then it will
only be of assistance to SIP calls.  At best IAX calls will be
unaffected - at worst, they may be marginally worse.

If you need true QoS, you're better off looking at other routers.  DLink
have other products that should fit the bill, but they will be more
expensive.  Personally, I'm using a SonicWALL at home, but they are
several orders of magnitude more expensive.