[Asterisk-Users] Small / embedded system recommendations

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Sun Dec 11 20:36:27 MST 2005

Chris Bagnall wrote:
>>Would anyone have recommendations for a small or embedded
>>system suitable for running Asterisk on? Ideally, we'd like two boxes:
>>- One using compact flash, and is fanless, with rapid booting.
>>- One with a hard disk for voicemail, call recording, etc.
>>Preferably they would be capable of bridging 60 calls Zap-Zap
>>or Zap-SIP, but we're willing to consider less powerful
>>systems. The ability to take a single Digium card is desirable.
>

> We've recently ordered a pair of these:
> http://www.soekris.com/net4801.htm
>
> Which have a standard PCI slot into which I'm hoping a TDM card will work.
> Their Belgian distributor (kd85.com) appears to have a nice range of
> expanded cases that might (hopefully) take a TDM card. I'll find out when
> they arrive I guess.
>
> I'm not sure whether a 266Mhz processor would stand a hope in hell of
> running 60 calls though - I'll leave that one for someone else to answer.
> Fortunately our requirement is only for 4-6 concurrent calls.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

Chris,

	About the TDM card...  Several things:

- No FXS ports - the Soekris doesn't have the means to provide ringing
voltage for the card.

- Even four concurrent calls might be tricky.  Even if you aren't doing
transcoding, you will still probably have to do echo cancellation, which
is CPU intensive (especially on the Soekris)!

- The case.  You already know about kd85.com.  But 30 euro is a little
expensive for their full height PCI case...

	As far as 60 calls.  Maybe SIP to SIP, with re-invites and even that is
pushing it.  Overall, a Net4801 would not be appropriate for what the OP
is looking for.

P.S. - You should run AstLinux on your net4801:

http://www.astlinux.org

P.P.S. - I created AstLinux, and it rocks ;)!

--
Kristian Kielhofner