[Asterisk-Users] Attack dialing

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Dec 11 15:25:13 MST 2005

> In Australia, dialling a number more than 3 times in a row without waiting a
> certain amount of time is not allowed to be programmed into a system.
>
> Not against the law, but againt telecom reg's.
>
> > I think "attack dialing" means to dial all 10,000 number in an exchange,
> > looking for modems and fax machines.  BTW, Colorado Springs, Colorado
> > has made it illegal to dial a number without intending to have a
> > conversation <sigh>  Probably something to do with NORAD or Space Command.
> >
> > > Anyone have eny elegant dial plan config for attack dialing? Basically I
> > > just want to automatically and continuously dial a busy until it is
> > > answered and then hand it over to a SIP hanset.

The OP just happened to use incorrect words for a "pbx" feature that
is rather well known as "camp-on". The majority (if not all manufacturers)
do not allow the camp-on feature to be used with outside numbers; only pbx
extensions.

The retrydial that someone suggested is sort of a first step, but
doesn't come close to what commercial pbx manufacturers call camp-on.

In the commercial systems that I'm familiar with, if you call an extension
that is busy, you press a predefined key for the system and hang up. The
pbx then silently monitors for that extension to become available, and
when it does, calls both the caller and the callee back, bridging the
two together automatically. (Some systems use a destinctive ring for
such camp-on return calls, and include the logic to test both exensions
to be sure both are available before completing the camp-on return call.)

I'm not a programmer and couldn't code this up if I wanted to, but it is
a nice feature and all the basic components needed to develop the feature
already exist in * code. I suppose some could code an agi script to do it,
but it seems to me such a feature should be included in * code instead.