[Asterisk-Users] Linksys SPA-841 Missing Calls

alan alan at pair.com
Mon Dec 5 14:13:17 MST 2005

"Dave Morrow" <david.morrow at autodata.net> wrote:

> I've narrowed it down to the phones dislike for my older 3COM switch.
> I noticed on the weekend that when these missed calls occur, if I ping
> the phone, the first few packets are dropped......almost like it's
> gone to sleep......

We have had some network issues with our SPA-841's as well.

We ended up having to take the phone off our standard network. Even
though it was a completely switched network, we believe sufficient ARP
broadcasts packets were being sent to the phones to slow them down. Our
symptom was choppy or "robotic" sound similar to what you'd expect with
high packet loss, accompanied by extremely high "decode latency" numbers
on the System page.

Even that wasn't enough: we needed higher quality switches than the
cheap ones we expected to be able to use, to avoid other sound quality
issues which continued to crop up.

This is good evidence as to why they didn't put 2 ethernet ports on the
phone: it would only make things worse if you shared the port with a PC
or workstation, I'd expect.

Alan