[Asterisk-Users] re: Help required on asterisk

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sun Dec 4 09:08:03 MST 2005

For starters, please provide a more descriptive subject for your
message. Something like "cannot find extension context 'from-sip'" would
be better than nothing.

Also see my reply inline.

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 07:48:11AM -0800, Tejas Shah wrote:
>     hi all,
>
>                    some days back i mailed to group abt my error on asterisk.
So consider continuing that thread.

>   Now also i m getting same error :
>
>   cannot find extension context 'from-sip' .
>
> I tried DEFAULT context also. but at that time errot remains
> same: cannot fined extension context 'default'. I think problem is
> that it is not recognising any context.

Could you please provide the relevant parts of your extensions.conf ?

Do you connect from a SIP channel? What is the context of that channel?
use 'sip show users'

>                   well i want some suggesion from group. It will be helpful for me if u will send ur suggestions. Actually I want to implement VoIP gateway for my Project work.
>   For that i choose Asterisk. I have certain questions :
>
>   1) Now i m planning to choose Debian as an operating system. So what do u think
>      hows asterisk support for debian. Is asterisk work well on debian?

Sure :-)

I can also recommend http://xorcom.com/rapid, which is a Sarge with a
better Asterisk. But then again I'm not an impartial observer.

>   2) Also if i will use digitnetworks X100P card for PSTN interface would i able to
>     connect with analog phone. Is only this hardware is sufficient for making gateway?

Basically, yes. There are some potential problems with X100P/X101P
cards (e.g: echo problems). But then again, they're much cheaper than
the alternatives...

>   3) And last but not least........since i m a newbie to asterisk n Debian how much time
>      (approximately in days) it will take to develop VoIP gateway with asterisk ?

Not that much. See the above link for a shortcut (also note the license,
which is GPL)