[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk as a gateway to Index PBX

Steve Rawlings steve at rawlings.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 2 11:55:44 MST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jo Knight" <joknight at blueyonder.co.uk>
<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 10:32 PM
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Asterisk as a gateway to Index PBX

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to have an Asterisk act as a gateway to an Index PBX. I
> would like to migrate users from Index to Asterisk, but need to have some
> kind of mechanism for the 2 systems to communicate during the migration.
>
> I have read that this can be done by installing a dual port PRI card into
> the Asterisk server, to which the ISDN30 will be connected, and then run a
> PRI crossover cable into the Index. I have seen this mentioned, but have
> not been able to find any configuration examples or tips.
>
> Can it be done, and if anyone knows how then please point me in the right
> direction...
>
> Thanks,
> Jo

Yes this is quit easy to do.  We did it with a TE405P configured as two
spans CPE and two spans NET, moved the BT connections (Euro ISDN not DASS)
to the Asterisk CPE spans and two E1 crossover cables to connect the two NET
spans back to our two INDeX PRI cards.  Programmed all inbound on CPE spans
to call out on the NET spans so all our DDI just went straight through to
the INDeX, it's easy enough to tweak if you want any of the DDI to terminate
on the Asterisk.  Likewise we programmed anything coming in from the INDeX
to go straight out to the CPE spans.  We didn't programme anything critical
in the INDeX, this way if the Asterisk crashed we simply moved the BT PRI
cables back to the INDeX.  We did programme string analysis, translation and
a route list so INDeX users could dial an access code (something other than
9) followed by an extension number to call extensions on the Asterisk,
likewise in the Asterisk, we edited the dialplan so extensions could call
into the INDeX over the PRI direct to any extension, cool.

The main we reason we did this was to enable us to 'monitor' calls only on
specific DDI's remotely using chan_spy within Asterisk.  It also gave us a
VoIP gateway from INDeX.

Steve