[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7920 and Asterisk - How well do they play together?

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Wed Aug 31 14:01:54 MST 2005

On 15:23, Wed 31 Aug 05, Bjorn Ove Kristiansen wrote:
> I?ve read various stories about the Asterisk SCCP implementation. Some say
> it works fine, others say it doesn?t ? stick with a SIP phone!
>
> My dilemma is that I?d like a WI-FI phone with multi-line capability, and so
> far Ciscos 7920 is the only one I?ve found. The disadvantage is that it
> cannot be upgraded to support the SIP-protocol, so if I purchase such a
> phone I am stuck with the SCCP.
>
> Found a table on voip-info.org listing features and whether they were
> supported in different Asterisk protocols. For skinny and SCCP the
> corresponding cells only had question marks, so no useful information there.
>
> Basically, should I go with the SCCP phone, and what would be the
> advantages/disadvantages by doing so? If anyone can recommend me a
> multi-line WI-FI SIP phone with support for encrypted networks, and
> preferably with built-in network finder, I?d also like to hear from you.

Hi,

I never played with the 7920, but the 7905 and 7960 are
working perfect with the chan_sccp from berlios.
I had the phones running on SIP for a while, but reverted to
SCCP because it performs better on the phones. Plus you get
those nice xml interfaces on the 7905 :))
It's running here for some time now and I have yet to
encounter the first real problem.

Maybe the Hitatchi WP-5000 does multiple lines. From what
I've heard it's a good wifi phone device. It even handles
switching accesspoints while in a call :)

Hope this helps a little.
--
Michiel van Baak
http://michiel.vanbaak.info