[Asterisk-Users] strange problem

Christoph Eicke cei at inmedias.it
Wed Aug 31 04:29:58 MST 2005

Hi!

I have a strange problem with Asterisk (Asterisk 1.0.8-BRIstuffed-0.2.0-RC7k)
on a VIA Samuel x86. When I make a call from the CLI either over IAX2 or SIP,
my first call after the initial start of Asterisk works fine, even though
upons starting Asterisk tells me "Read error on sound device: Resource
temporarily unavailable". I hear the call over the loudspeaker. When I hang
up (using CLI "hangup" command) and try to place another call, I get a "busy"
signal over the loudspeaker and I get "Error reading from sound device (If
you're running 'artsd' then kill it): Resource temporarily unavailable". If I
issue a "hangup" again, I can dial out fine again.
I don't have artsd running and nothing else besides Asterisk is using /dev/dsp
(according to lsof). I have read somewhere that this might have to do with
the sound card chip that I'm running (VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97
Audio Controller (rev 50)).
Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of getting to see the debug output
of /var/log/asterisk/debug on that machine, because it runs on a 128MB read
only file system.
I'm not loading chan_alsa.so, only chan_oss.so as I think this might have
something to do with the problem.

Any help would be great, or any hints into a possible direction.

Thanks,
Christoph