[Asterisk-Users] ICD Features

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Tue Aug 30 22:46:11 MST 2005

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Hadar Pedhazur wrote:

> Following up on a thread that I started about Agents/Queue and
> acknowledging calls before bridging them...
>
> Greg Boehnlein said that he was putting his efforts into ICD.
>
> I downloaded and installed ICD, and I can get simple queue and agent
> stuff working fine, and see that this new design is much cleaner and
> more powerful.

We use ICD to handle a complex queuing situation. This involved a new
distribution algorithm and hooks to the Asterisk management interface.

ICD suffers quite a bit from over engineering. The complexity comes mainly
from the same analysis that makes Asterisk overly comples - signalling is
handled in parallell thread. There are some locking issues and races we
have not been able to track down. For our use we no longer see any hangs,
but from time to time agents enter an inconsistent state.

Both Asterisk and the ICD subsystem would have been easier to implement
and debug had they chosen a single-threaded model for the control flow and
left the threads to handle the payload (voice etc).