[Asterisk-Users] How to use * and # as part of number in dial command

Michel Koenen michel.koenen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 14:41:21 MST 2005

Hi all,

I am struggling with the following and I can't get it work:

In the Netherlands where I live it is possible to use special codes
(aka vertical service codes) to set special 'behaviour' of phonecalls.
So e.g. when I want to dial out with a normal phone and I dial
*31*<phonenumber to dial> then it will turn off my numberindication
(CID) at the called party.  They seem to call this the 'keypad
protocol' but I  cannot find this term when searching through asterisk
documents.

My asterisk system is connected to an ISDN line with HFC card. I use
zaphfc module for that.  In my extensions I tried several things to
dial out and use the *31* but without success.

E.g.:
2000,1,Dial(Zap/4/*31*040268000)

When I dial 2000 , the verbose logging shows below
(Zap2-1 is my internal phone , Zap/4 is connected to outside ISDN line.

   -- Executing Dial("Zap/2-1", "Zap/4/*31*040268000") in new stack
    -- Requested transfer capability: 0x10 - 3K1AUDIO
    -- Called 4/*31*040268000
    -- Zap/4-1 is making progress passing it to Zap/2-1
    -- Channel 0/1, span 2 got hangup
Aug 27 23:32:28 WARNING[17591]: app_dial.c:412 wait_for_answer: Unable
to forward voice
    -- Hungup 'Zap/4-1'
  == No one is available to answer at this time
    -- Channel 0/2, span 1 got hangup
    -- Hungup 'Zap/2-1'

When setting up an open link to channel and then dial the rest myself:
2001,1,Dial(zap/4,,)
I get the same message as soon as I press the second *  in (*31*)

Is it not working because the zap channel doesn't support this ?
Are there other channels who do support this?
Or am I doing something wrong and do I have to use another way to get this done?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Michel Koenen