[Asterisk-Users] Ztmonitor values when zap channel is onhook

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC mojo at horanappraisals.com
Fri Aug 26 13:07:25 MST 2005

We just replaced our old system at work with Asterisk.  We use a TDM
card with 3 FXO ports.  In tuning my gains, I discovered that the
on-hook rx levels do in fact waver a little bit. Line 1 is right around
145, Line 2 is around 235, Line 3 is around 380, and Line 4, which
doesn't go to a POTS line but instead to a PhoneLabs Cell Socket thingy,
is around 100.  These numbers sometimes spike upwards by 30% or so, but
not too often.

So after feeling quite happy about the rx and txgain levels set at my
workplace, I did the same steps at home, but in the process noted that
my on-hook levels are closer to 3500.  They waver a bit, but not more
than 30% it seems. This is on a X100P, which I've always suspected was
sold to me mis-labeled (I think it's a clone instead of a real X100P).
Also, I have a DAML (sometimes also called a concentrator?) installed
outside my house, to split the copper lines coming to my house with
neighbors. ( I live in a trailer court and personal copper pairs are at
a premium I guess.  Had to switch away from 56k so long ago 'cause it
wasn't 56k anymore...) but anyway the point is that the DAML might be
causing the rx noise if it isn't my X10(0|1)P.

By way of summary, I feel based on my own experience that the numbers
you are seeing while on-hook must be perfectly acceptable and well
within normal, usable limits.  I think I'll order a real X100P or maybe
a tdm with one FXO port to replace my junk and post back to the list
with my results.

Moj