[Asterisk-Users] Motherboards and IRQs

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Wed Aug 24 18:58:34 MST 2005

jennyw wrote:

> Someone mentioned earlier (I can't find the message now) that they had
> a motherboard that allowed you to change IRQ assignments in BIOS. Does
> anyone happen to know how to identify motherboards that can do this?
> I'm going to put together a new machine now and I'm having trouble
> picking a motherboard for it (ordering from Dell or other online
> vendor is not an option, since I need this in the next couple days).
>
> This is to provide another avenue for avoiding IRQ conflicts with the
> Digium TDM400Ps.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jen

intel 875p chipset and ECC RAM works well.

I have built several servers with intel and abit boards using this chipset

Always use a good UPS rather than a surge protector outlet strip. You
can get an APC brand with USB signalling for as little as $50. It works
with linux. That means the linux server will see when the battery is
low, prepare itself for shutdown and then tell the APC to kill its
output. When power returns the APC will turn outpput back on and the
linux server boots gracefully.

When buying CPU I usually go with the "retail boxed" instead of OEM. It
doesn't cost much more. It includes the cooler along with a good
warranty. If it fails you get a new cooler along with the new chip.
Obviously they can't try to get out of warranty replacement based on the
cooler selection if it was their choice in the first place.

I stopped using athlons when I could no longer get boards with the AMD
chipset(supports ECC). You can probably still get boards designed for
dual athlon. I asked AMD why and they told me the 760 chipset for single
athlon was no longer in production. It seems the average consumer
doesn't appreciate higher quality features enough. It's too bad because
I always liked AMD stuff. When I needed fast reliable chips for some
specialized processors I designed it was AMD that gave me the first
samples and they always gave the purchasing people good pricing for
production needs. I'm only mentioning this because there has been some
banter about AMD vs. Intel here. If the right motherboards were
available for single socket 7 servers I would have stayed with them.
Their service is excellent. They give me free overnight shipping and 2
weeks to send in the defective part.