[Asterisk-Users] Small office setup/using analog lines w/ Asterisk

Karl S. Katzke karl at streetlampsoftware.com
Mon Aug 22 11:55:13 MST 2005

Ooh. Jenny, your problem might be the motherboard. (I should know, I run
that same motherboard at home as my gaming machine.) It's a piece of
crud. I actually blew through four of them before I found one that
worked properly. I wouldn't worry about the AGP running on there, but do
make sure that X-windows isn't running on the box. If the consultant you
hired installed a graphical environment, please give me his name and
address so that I can drive over and kick him next time I'm visiting my
sister.

Otherwise, yeah, what you've got is overkill. The Sempron and half a gig
of RAM would be more than enough for you, and RAID is nice but you could
probably have gotten away with software RAID or using the onboard
softraid. I'm not even running RAID.

My clicking went away after I rewired my PSTN boxes. The contractor that
wired them put them in 2-up ganged boxes, (2 jacks in each box, 2 lines
running into each box) and that caused far too much interference.
Replacing the wiring from the punchdown to the boxes and then the boxes
themselves not only eliminated the clicking, it cancelled a good half of
the echo. I still have some echo and I just had a call drop out
unexpectedly with 'congestion'... gotta figure out how to fix that.

-K