[Asterisk-Users] Small office setup/using analog lines w/ Asterisk

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Aug 22 10:57:38 MST 2005

On Monday 22 August 2005 13:29, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> No PCI card can 'change IRQs'. IRQ assignment is under the control of
> the motherboard wiring and the BIOS settings.

Actually that is untrue.  There are four INT# lines on a PCI bus.
*everything* uses INTA# and relies on the chipset and motherboard to
correctly "wire" it up so they don't share...  I was going to ask Digium if
they could bring all four INT# lines into the FPGA and allow me to select
which INT# to use, it'd sure give a HELL of a better chance at finding a free
IRQ, wouldn't it?  Especially for those goddamned motherboards that DON'T
"cascade" the INT# lines...

IIRC it's SUPPOSED to be wired
INTA -> INTB -> INTC -> INTD -> chipset_INTx
INTB -> INTC -> INTD -> INTA -> chipset_INTy
INTC -> INTD -> INTA -> INTB -> chipset_INTz

etc...  at least on older systems...  It's been a while and I've always
wondered why card manufacturers don't allow me to use INTB/C/D if I want/need
to.  Sure it's extra complexity but jeez man, it's "only" software.  :-)

-A.