[Asterisk-Users] Re: Which AGI Development Software is fastest on Asterisk?

Matt King m at orderlysoftware.com
Thu Aug 18 17:18:14 MST 2005

Hello,

> I'm looking to develop some custom AGI that will be MySQL intensive.  It
> appears Asterisk supports many different development environments.  Which
> would be best suited for Asterisk and MySQL?

    It's generally fastest to use FastAGI (over TCP/IP), rather than
regular AGI as this means the OS isn't starting a new process for each
call (just like it's faster to use PHP or Servlets rather than
old-school CGI for serving web pages).  This also means you can run your
AGI application on a different server, if you want to, so as not to
compromise Asterisk performance.

    If you know Java, you could try OrderlyCalls at
http://orderlycalls.sourceforge.net (disclaimer - written by me!) which
has full FastAGI and Manager support, reusable object pooling, and can
be run inside Tomcat to build integrated web and telephony applications,
though there are other packages out there, including Asterisk-Java (
http://asterisk-java.sourceforge.net - written by Stefan Reuter).

    Hope this helps,

       Matt King, Orderly Software
       http://www.orderlyq.com - probably the most advanced queue system