[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail/Directory, one person, one box, two last names

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Thu Aug 18 05:35:47 MST 2005

On Aug 17, 2005, at 4:18 PM, Ryan Stark wrote:

> So one of my employees just got married and is taking her husband's
> last name.  As soon as her business cards run out she will be using
> the new last name for business as well.  So for example is there a way
> to make it so that if someone goes to the directory to find her
> extension and they dial DOE it matches her or if they type SMI it
> matches her.  Alternatively, can I make a new voicemail entry for her
> new last name and make it put her messages in her other box, sort of
> like an alias?

Ryan,

This may not be the prettiest way, but it ought to work:

1.) Change the her name on her existing mailbox.
2.) Create a second extension for her, with a separate voice-mailbox
and associate her maiden name with this new mailbox. Make sure that
this mailbox notifies her via e-mail if she has voicemail.
3.) Forward the second extension to her original extension #
4.) A person in the directory that enters her new name will get her
original extension. Someone who enters her maiden name will get her
new extension, which is forwarded to her old extension. All voicemail
should be in the same box.
5.) Check CDR to see the volume of calls going to her maiden name (if
the CDR doesn't get screwed up b/c of call-forwarding....)

Tom