[Asterisk-Users] DID on TDM400P Question?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Aug 17 20:59:59 MST 2005

>  Does anyone know if the current TDM400 card can take DID digits from the LEC?
> If so is there any reference to how to set this all up?  As I get my current
> service from my LEC over an IAD, so would be sweet to just have trunks, not
> each channel specific to a number.
>
>  Also if the above is possible, if the line is being used for DID, then is
> this only workable for inbound, or can I also seize the line and use it for
> outbound calls.  I know with PRI's that is easy, but never had to play with
> this on an analog port level.  Just having a PRI at home isn't practical, so
> not something I can really do.

Not likely to work. Part of the reason is the TDM card essentially answers a
call when ringing occurs. That "answer" essentially closes the tip-ring loop
to the pstn (central office), and the central office will interpret that as
a change in line status. The central office will not forward any more digits
(dial pulse or dtmf) when that occurs.

If the TDM card supported E&M signaling, then one would have the signaling
structure (to the central office) to support the wanted DID function; but
that doesn't exist and the TDM chipset doesn't support E&M. Last, the asterisk
code would need to change in such a way as to listen for additional dtmf digits
_after_ the TDM card closed the tip-ring loop, and I believe that code doesn't
exist either. (Even if the code did exist, then what method would be used to
signify to the central office that a call was answered by an asterisk phone?)

Bottom line... not with a TDM card.