[Asterisk-Users] IP Cop as a firewall and QOS

Casey Boone cboone at shawneelink.net
Wed Aug 17 15:59:46 MST 2005

i have never used ipcop in conjunction with asterisk (just starting
asterisk) but i have used ipcop quite a bit.  ipcop is a GREAT
alternative to appliance firewalls and does almost anything i  have ever
needed to do.  it is easy to install and easy to maintain and just
works.  the hardest thing is the way they name their interfaces and it
isnt all that hard.

red is the internet port
green is the local lan port
orange (if you have one) is the DMZ
blue (if you have one) is for wireless

typically you just need to worry about red and green

i set up a series of vpn links based on  some cheap celeron 1.7s with
256megs of ram and i could saturate a 100MBit connection without the ip
cop machine breaking a sweat (this was during testing,  would have went
with much lower powered machines except for the great deal the company i
worked for had for those boxes.)

i would try it and see personally, find a box you are willing to use for
an ipcop test and go to it.

Casey Boone