[Asterisk-Users] SIP "agent" phone w/ headset

Colin Stefani colin.stefani at tideworks.com
Wed Aug 17 08:59:12 MST 2005

Thanks for the feedback

Just for a background, one of the reasons for "redundancy" (notice the
quotes ;-) is that the PC is setup as a kiosk style application in which
we do a shell replacement with the Windows Explorer, so instead of a
desktop, the user gets a dedicated application which is very "thin"
client like. The reason we're wary of integrating voice in this
application, which is certainly doable with one of the various SDK's out
there, is that we also host an Oracle forms client interface as part of
this and this thing is a big ol' pig and screws up the PC on a regular
basis (it's not my product so there's not much I can do but cope with
it).

Anyway, the users are very low level users and do not know much about
PC's, so at the slightest hint of an issue they just punch the reset
button on the pc and reboot it (or unplug it, or...you get the idea).

Yes, your assumptions are correct in that these "agents" are in a
receive only situation, with very limited call function capabilities.
The end goal is that the software client running on the PC will be able
to control the extension and act like a manager for that phone unit. I'm
probably asking to stretch what is out in the market right now, but I'd
be remiss for not looking.

Most likely, we'll end up with a soft phone embedded in the client
software, but I'm not looking forward to dealing with USB headsets.

Colin Stefani
Tideworks Technology