SV: [Asterisk-Users] Cisco and "protocol application invalid"

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Tue Aug 16 07:46:51 MST 2005

On Aug 15, 2005, at 11:28 AM, Bjørn Ove Kristiansen wrote:

> Hello!
>
> The issue is simply that I don't know which IP address the phone
> tries to
> connect to. I am not very familiar with dhcpd (never put it up by
> hand), so
> I'm not sure how the below would help me, but from what I can tell,
> I still
> need information on which IP-address the phone is trying to find
> its tftp
> on, right?
>
> Bjorn

[snip]

> Michiel van Baak wrote:
>

>> I have put this in my dhcpd.conf to make sure my cisco
>> phones connect to my TFTP server:
>> server-name "192.168.2.1";
>>

> I'd be surprised if that worked... the server name is for.. um.. the
> name of the server :)
>
> Try:
>
> option tftp-boot-server code 150 = ip-address;
> option tftp-boot-server 192.168.44.3;

[snip]

Bjorn,

The phone will use whatever TFTP server your DHCP server tells it to
use. That is what the above line "option tftp-boot-server" is
supposed to do, it tells your DHCP server what address to give your
phone. If your DHCP server does not give the phone an address, and
you have not specified one manually through the phone's settings
interface, then it will  (in my experience) default to the same
address as your DHCP server.

What are you using for a DHCP server?

Can you enter the settings interface of the phone if you leave the
ethernet disconnected? (If so, manually specify the TFTP server
address.)

Tom