[Asterisk-Users] Festival Problem

Kris Edwards krisedwards at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 03:39:06 MST 2005

I have a different problem, but you might end up using the same
"solution" as I did.  I wanted to change to the cmu_us_slt_arctic_hks
voice (which sounds AMAZING to me.. way better than what AT&T wants 300
bucks for), but no matter what I did, I couldn't get Asterisk to work
with it.  So I am using a bash script to generate the file and then have
asterisk play it.

something like:

exten => s,4,System(sayit "${CIDNAME} calling from ${CIDINFO}" cidinfo)
; spoken txt in quotes, then filename
exten => s,5,Wait(2) ; or some propmt.. just so the system has time to
make the file.
exten => s,6,Playback(cidinfo)

My Bash sux, but this works for me

/#!/bin/bash/
*echo* $1 *|* text2wave -o /tmp/work.wav -otype wav
normalize -g 6db /tmp/work.wav
*sox* /tmp/work.wav -r 8000 /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/$2.gsm resample
*rm* /tmp/work.wav

Text2wave does have the capability to output to ulaw (gsm too I think),
but they were too quiet for me so I decided to output wavs so I could
normalize them and then convert them to gsm with sox.

There are probably better ways, but everything works for me now and I
have the voice I want :D

Kris