[Asterisk-Users] yet another Asterisk and VMware question

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at ifax.com
Fri Aug 12 13:57:20 MST 2005

> On Aug 12, 2005, at 2:33 PM, Tony Hoyle wrote:
>
>> Bruce Leetch wrote:
>>

>>> I've purchased a TDM11B card and have installed it in the box.  Windows
>>> sees it as a PCI Simple Communications board. A Linux  "lspci" doesn't
>>> show anything even vaguely resembling this card.  This troubles me.
>>>

>> VMWare is a virtual machine and has nothing to do with the physical
>> layout of the box (which is why you can migrate vmware images  across
>> machines for example).
>>
>> If you want to run Asterisk under Linux setup a box to run it.

We run GSX server here, which does (as you have seen) abstract the hardware
into generic devices just like the Workstation product. I haven't looked
into it deeply enough to know for certain, but the ESX server is meant to
offer more of a 'bare metal' interface to hardware. Perhaps it's worth
trying that before giving up on this route altogether?

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson
Senior Sales & Support Engineer