[Asterisk-Users] Possibly bad FXS module in TDM400P?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Aug 12 13:06:17 MST 2005

> I've got the latest zaptel and cvs asterisk software loaded on my phone
> server running FC3.  And yes, It's fully updated and udev is setup
> correctly.  I've got a TDM400P with one FXS and one FXO module
> installed.  When I load zaptel and wctdm and run ztcfg -vvv, I get this:
>
> [root at asterisk ~]# ztcfg -vvv
> ZT_CHANCONFIG failed on channel 1: No such device or address (6)
>
> Zaptel Configuration
> ======================
>

> Channel map:
>
> Channel 01: FXO Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 01)
> Channel 02: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 02)
>
> 2 channels configured.
>
> Regardless of my configuration, it should show up in ztcfg, right?
> Here's my:

I'm not sure I understand your question. You ran ztcfg and it told
you channel 1 is your fxs (phone) port, and channel 2 is your pstn
port. Why the question "...it should show up in ztcfg, right"?

> ****** zaptel.conf ********
>
> loadzone = us
> defaultzone = us
> fxoks=1
> fxsks=2
>
> ****** zapata.conf ********
> [trunkgroups]
> [channels]
> language=en
> context=default
> switchtype=national
> signalling=fxo_ks
> rxwink=300              ; Atlas seems to use long (250ms) winks
> usecallerid=yes
> hidecallerid=no
> callwaiting=no
> usecallingpres=yes
> callwaitingcallerid=no
> threewaycalling=no
> transfer=yes
> canpark=yes
> cancallforward=yes
> callreturn=yes
> mailbox=2500
> echocancel=yes
> echocancelwhenbridged=yes
> rxgain=0.0
> txgain=0.0
> group=1
> callgroup=1
> pickupgroup=1
> immediate=no
> context=default
> channel => 1
> context=incoming
> signalling=fxs_ks
> group=2
> channel => 2
>
> Thanks for your help.

Does asterisk start correctly?  (You didn't mention that, but start it
with 'asterisk -cvvvvvd' and scan back through the pages to see if it
is complaining about anything.

If it starts correctly, do a 'zap show status'. What does it say?

Do a 'zap show channels'. What does it say?

If the above looks correct, then you probably have an asterisk config
problem. For example, several of the statements that you have shown in
zapata.conf for channel 1 do not apply to fxs modules, and some don't
even apply to the TDM card. Strip that down to minimal config statements
and try again.
 - switchtype=national applies to T1 interfaces, not TDM analog ports
 - rxwink=300 applies to pstn trunks, not to fxs phone ports

After stipping down the config to bare necessities, once you get it to
work properly, then add "features" into the config.

If you mistakenly plugged the pstn line into the fxs module, there is
a very high probability the module is blown, particularily if the
pstn line rang while it was plugged in. (If that's the case, call digium
to see if they will warranty the module, or buy another one and be more
carefull.