[Asterisk-Users] Install just to play with experiment

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Fri Aug 12 06:28:33 MST 2005

A at H is not a feature limited version of asterisk designed for home
users. It is actually a collection of various software projects,
including Asterisk stable, the AMP Web interface, SugarCRM, a Cisco
phone configuration editor, plus ConfigEdit and a bunch of other
stuff, all nicely tied together.

On the other hand, Asterisk by default is a blank slate and there are
extremely few limitations on how you can configure it to meet your
needs. Extreme flexibility is the rule, and many do not like that
GUIs (AMP included) necessarily place limits on this flexibility. As
a result, it is harder to make more complex customizations.

However, I think that the average user will actually find that AMP
brings some order to the "chaos" that is Asterisk. Rather than
limiting their freedom, many users see it as saving them from
reinventing the wheel and having to learn the minutiae of Asterisk
configuration. In addition, if you are willing to invest some time
studying the inner workings of AMP, you can figure out how it works
and place custom programming in the /etc/asterisk/
extensions_custom.conf file.

In the end, it depends on what type of user you are, and what you
want to accomplish. If you want to develop an easy to use and
configure replacement for a traditional PBX that does not require you
to really get into the nuts and bolts of dilaplans, etc, then I think
A at H is for you. If you want to get into more complex things such as
connecting databases to your system to let customers access their
data interactively, etc, then you probably want to avoid the GUI,
because it will limit your flexibility.

As with most everything else, it depends!

Tom